Wednesday, April 7, 2010

In Your Neighborhood

Last night I thought I smelled something burning in my house.

I checked the baby's room. Nothing.

I checked the kitchen, the living room. Nada.

I checked my downstair's neighbor's apartment. Nothing there.

The burning smell seemed to be coming from my bedroom.

I unplugged everything and opened the window as far as it would go. And still the smokey smell.

But the fire alarms didn't sound.

So I felt a little crazy. I needed a second opinion.

I texted 3 neighbors, but no one was home.

The family across the street wasn't around.

And then I saw a neighbor from up the block walking home.

I called to him and he came up to check for me. He concluded that the smell came in through the window, possibly from someone's fireplace.

As he was leaving I thanked him profusely for helping me.

He responded, "You know it's just nice to live here, where all the neighbors are friendly. In some places, you don't even know your neighbors' names".

What a revelation!

Before I lived here the last neighbors I knew by name were from my childhood home.

Here, in one night, I had 5 possible people to help me.

What a comforting feeling:)