Monday, March 8, 2010

Floral Meditations

Another busy week flies by and my husband and I juggle our work and our family life.

On Thursday I returned home after a 10 hour day to find roses waiting for me.

As I arranged the roses in vases I thought back to when I was a nanny.

At the end of every week the Mom would pick up bouquets of flowers on her way home from work. She started her weekend by readying dinner and filling vases for the different rooms of the house.

I decided to do the same. At our local grocery store the florist section offered three bouquets for $10. Bringing fresh flowers into our home became part of my weekend ritual; a calming way to wind down.

To this day, arranging flowers presents an opportunity to be mindful. During simple acts like watering, cutting and arranging I am able to focus and to quiet my thoughts.

To me, this is a bouquet's true value.