This morning I hiked Temescal Canyon with two girlfriends.
We were lucky to have a beautiful sunny day with a light breeze and enjoyed beautiful clear views of the city and coastline. Gorgeous green grass and clover spilled onto the path- so lovely!
I remember the first time I attempted this hike, many years ago. Sweating, huffing and puffing, I felt exasperated. I thought, "I am healthy and young. How can old men and children pass by me?!" It was a reality check.
Since then I've always thought of the hike as a measure of my physical health.
If I struggle, then I know I need to push myself.
If I sail through, then I appreciate how strong and healthy I am.
Since the birth of my son I've found hiking invigorating and exhausting.
Today, I realized how much stronger I am than even a few months ago.
So often my thoughts focus on how my son is growing and thriving. It's nice know that I am as well.