Sunday, June 9, 2013

Happy Holidays

As the years go by, I enjoy holidays more and more.

People tell me this is because I have children. While I think celebrating old traditions and creating new ones makes for more fun, this is not the reason I cherish holidays.

Holidays press pause on the year. Each holiday brings my past to the present, with lessons of gratitude and remembrance.

Valentine's Day and Father's Day bring me back to my childhood home. My father is and was devoted to us and my mother. I just remember him being there. And how important that was because he couldn't always be physically with us. He is a partner to my mom and a role model for my siblings and I. He is a lesson in how to be solid, reliable and consistent.

Mother's Day reminds me of my girlfriends... the ones who want babies, the ones who have new babies, the ones whose babies are graduating kindergarten/middle school/high school. Thinking of how much they love inspires me to be my best.

St. Patrick's Day brings to mind NYC and my high school friends who I haven't seen in years. While wearing my green I reflect upon the comfort that comes with knowing people for so long and valuing my oldest friendships.

Memorial Day and July Fourth remind me of my grandmother. She lived on the beach and I loved the freedom of playing all day in the grass, sand and water. There's nothing like the carefree thrill you get from exploring as a child and feeling like you are expanding the reach of your world. And she saw me. I felt special and full of potential around her. This feeling I try to share with my kids.

Labor Day brings back the the need to grab every last minute of summer and cram as much fun in as possible. I remember feeling excited and scared during back-to-school shopping. Each year I felt the shift moving away from the familiar to the unknown. This day makes me mindful of transitions and the feelings they bring.

Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas are a blur of colors, flavors and sounds. October through December are a period for creativity and figuring out ways to express love for those around me. They are a time when I purposefully listen to my inner voice vs. the greater world. 

The holidays are the reminders that I need to keep me present and grateful. The memories call to mind lessons to grow and to love deeply.