Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Jump Start

When I passed the first car being jumped on the side of the road, I thought about the kindness of strangers.

Later that day, when I passed the second car being jumped, I wondered what it could mean?

Of course, it was the first Monday I had scheduled a writing workshop for myself.

I call the workshop "Five Mondays".

My husband and I have blocked off my writing time in the calendar so it feels very official.

This first Monday, at the set time to start, I took a little nap.

When I awoke, I took my time wondering from room to room gathering my writerly things.

Eventually I made my way to the car.

I drove in silence all the way across town to another town to a library I never visit.

It was closed.

I drove in silence all the way back across two towns in the opposite direction to another library that GOOGLE told me would definitely be open.

When I finally sat down I looked at the time and realized an hour was gone from my Monday.

Where to begin? My storyboard, yes. Okay. Wait, how?

I clicked on my computer to find my reference dummy and my inbox gave a friendly ping.

An unexpected email from SCBWI! The Society of Children Book Writer's and Illustrators!

And with that ping I made the connection.

Even though I stalled at first, with a little jump start I was ready to go:)