Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Helicopter Parenting

The sight of a helicopter hovering over a house is a uniquely L.A.  experience. Typically this indicates that a person of interest is in the area, usually a person committing a criminal act. While it is commonplace to see choppers over certain areas of the city, rarely does one linger over homes in my neighborhood.

Daily lifeguard  and Coast Guard helicopters buzz the water but never do they stop.

Until the other night. Then they held position over my block.

I was in the midst of the the boys' bedtime routine when I heard the sound of the choppers motoring above us.

I went to the front window and scanned the block.
Nothing out of the ordinary.
So I closed the curtains and finished up with bedtime books.

Next I heard what sounded like the Charlie Brown teacher on a loudspeaker. I peeked out the curtain again. Nothing happening. So I locked the door and returned to my evening chores. I washed the dishes, slipped into pjs and went to bed.

The next morning I had forgotten all about the helicopter.

My husband returned from work and asked,"Did you hear about the shark sighting last night? A sheriff's helicopter saw a 10 footer and they evacuated the beach?"

My first thought was,"Oh okay."
My second thought was, "Should I cancel our beach play date?.... Nah."

An hour later we made our way down to the beach.

Stepped over the news van's camera cables...
Ignored the lifeguard boat circling the shore..
And plopped the kids in the sand.

Then it dawned one me.... Helicopters? Sharks? Nothing to 'em. I am officially a local.