Friday, November 30, 2012
21 Days of Abundance
For the past 15 years I have practiced meditation...
During a beginner yoga class in college I learned the yoga nitra guided meditation and I was changed forever. Like reading my favorite book or falling in love, the practice resonated with me.
In my 20's I moved onto reading the teachings of Charlotte Joko Beck and Thich Nhat Hanh. I learned to manage stress through breathing and walking meditations.
That said, I never studied meditation with a teacher or engaged in a daily practice.
But I always wanted to.....so when I read about Deepak Chopra's 21 Day Meditation Challenge I signed up without hesitation. Free and available online, how could I say no?
This past November, every night for 15 minutes I reflected on "Abundance".
Early on I was surprised by this insight.....
I have dreams of creating and writing. These past few months, with travel and family illness, it is all I can do to keep a balance in my giving to others and myself. Setting time aside to doodle and brainstorm was not a priority.
With each passing day of the challenge, I zeroed in how much richer my life is when I can express myself creatively.
Looking for abundance, I saw the resources I already had.....
The box of art supplies my sister gave me, hidden under my bed...
The used thesaurus sandwiched between my kids' books and my professional texts in my work bag...
The clean bare notebooks I gifted myself years ago, standing tall on a crowded bookshelf...
The 21 days of Deepak Chopra talking soothingly in my ear are over. But not the daily practice. Turns out, there are many free guided meditations apps available (also turns out, but not from Deepak;)
My inner yogi feels nurtured.
A few years ago I put this Marlene Dietrich quote on my fridge:
"There is a gigantic difference between earning a great deal of money and being rich."
Guess I'd been thinking about abundance for awhile. So glad I gave myself the space to reflect....