Thursday, April 12, 2012

Thumbs Up

Running, running, running.

Actually, more like- jogging, jogging, jogging.

Thinking about little problems as I go.

Trying to come up with solutions.

Trying to sort through my feelings.

Concentrating on things other than the task at hand.

And just plugging along.

Not paying much mind to the beach or the tourists or the mansions.

A teenager is walking slowly to my right and just as I pass her she takes off sprinting.

Her run is athletic and strong with fast strides.

Eventually she slows to a jog.

I catch up. Without looking up, I jog alongside her for a few beats until she lunges forward again.

And leaves me behind; way behind.

We do this for most of my run.

Towards the end of my run I look up and take in my scenery.

I push aside my little problems and let some of the tension I've been carrying fall away.

That's when I see her. She's ended her sprint and is stretching with her back to me.

As I come towards her she turns around and smiles at me.

She gives me a double thumbs up.

Easily I smile back.

Started off brooding and ended up smiling, is this what they mean when they say exercise alleviates stress?