Monday, February 28, 2011

Fill Your Plate

I place the grey blue bowl and platter on the table.

On a trip to Paris, I wandered from the farmer's market into a small store and found them on the sale shelf. Against my practical nature, I couldn't resist packing up these little luxuries, knowing I would use them for special occasions. I lugged them around for the rest of the day on our sightseeing tour:)

Besides my Parisian finds I put a small pink flower painted china platter. This platter is a third generation find. When my great aunts Alice and Arleen passed away, much of their belongings found their way to my Aunt Lois's house. She offered the set of dishes to me when I moved to Boston after college. I remember feeling so grown up when I unpacked them in my first apartment.

Next, I open a short circular box with the words Mariposa across the top. I remove four little dishes decorated with bright pink and green monkeys and pineapples. These dishes are playful and fun, just like my girlfriend who gifted them to my at Christmas a few years ago. She always gives me such beautiful dishes, a reminder to indulge a little every year.

With their presence, I scan the my table setting and recognize there is not a color or print theme. But in my eyes, they do not clash. In my eyes, they fit together beautifully because each is meant for a celebration.

The occasion? Why the Academy Awards! I may be a barefoot blue jean wearing girl most days (I use my everyday dishes for even Thanksgiving). But for enjoying some nosh with my girlfriends, I know when to take out the good stuff:)