Saturday, February 26, 2011

Really Gets Me

My relationship with my sister is special to me.

No one knows me the way she does. She knows the stuff I gloss over with my spouse: like the ridiculous flaws I find with in myself (grey hairs are a part of growing older:) or the giddiness I feel when someone thinks I am younger.

Stuff that reveals how truly flawed and crazy I am, that's the stuff we share.

Because when I tell her, we laugh.

Our conversations are not about solving problems or providing updates about our lives. They really are just about the silliest smallest details of our day.

Sometimes I forget that the love and bond of sisters is universal.

Yesterday, a friend received a wonderful surprise. Her sister flew in for a weekend visit. Such a perfect gift! Meanwhile, another girlfriend found out her younger sister was diagnosed with breast cancer. Such terrible news.

Today, this is a thank you to the universe for my sister who really "gets me".