The first word... I've been waiting for the first word since the day I found out I was pregnant:)
When my son was 5 months old I could have sworn he called our cat "Agoo".
To my delight he started signing "milk" and "eat" at 8 months.
And he's been babbling up a storm since he turned 10 months.
Mamamama
Dadadadada
Bababababa
A few weeks ago he pointed to a picture of his father and said "dada".
Two days ago he carried around a ball and said, "babababa". And we celebrated.
But then I didn't hear it again..... so I thought, "Is this kid is trying to tell me something or am I hearing things?"
Yesterday, at his "first year" doctor's visit, we zipped through the developmental checklist (yes he eats finger foods, yes he climbs on everything, yes he is toddling around) until she asked about the first word. And then we flooded her with why we think "maybe" is the answer, because we couldn't quite put our finger on it.
She smiled and said, "It's coming".
Late last night I ordered every available baby sign DVD in the LA library system, because it's coming and I wanted to help it along:)
This morning, 10 minutes into my day, my son reached over to grab a ball and said, "ba".
He couldn't have been clearer if he had thrown the ball at my head.
Ball.
What a perfect word.