Sunday, December 1, 2013

Butterflies Flutter

With the momentum of November's writing days and PiBoIdMo came a bold gesture on my part.

I shared my picture book manuscript with a friend who is an editor.

Years ago I shared what I thought were amazing manuscripts with her. 
Turns out, they were so-so ideas. 
I had no clue. 
She was lovely and kind in her critique. 
I was embarrassed and humbled.

That was 5 years ago to be exact.

Since then I have schooled myself on all things related to picture books.  
I have read thousands of picture books, read blogs and articles, created picture book dummies and shared my stories with friends and strangers for critiques. 

This manuscript needed to be read by a professional.

But my ego just couldn't do it.

Until I read this email from a girlfriend:

"Hit 'send' and let the butterflies flutter around for a bit. 

After giving birth to two kids and being present in their daily lives, this will ultimately feel like a piece of cake ;)"

No word yet from my editor friend.

The butterflies flutter. 

Definitely a better feeling than spinning, but not a piece of cake;)