The start of October brought a proper autumn chill. School was underway
and we were decorating for Halloween. We dug out our sweaters and jeans
and tossed our flip flops aside.
That fall feeling lasted a few days.
Then came a heatwave.
I did not embrace this quick turnaround in weather.
I wanted my jackets and vests.
I did not want to slip into my bathing suit.
But what can you do when it is over 80 degrees?
Bathing suits, flip flops, boogie boards, towels were dragged out for a day at the beach.
Standing in the surf, letting my feet sink under the wet sand, it dawned on me....
A few more days of summer!!!
I kept the boys home from classes and school.
We switched out play dates to the beach.
We squeezed every bit of summer fun out of that heatwave.
Of course, the fall returned.
This time, when I unpacked the feety pajamas for bedtime and extra
blankets for cuddling on the the sofa I felt the crinkle of sunburn on
the back of my neck.
And I missed the summer;)