Monday, November 4, 2013

My Student Hat

Going to a conference is a change in my routine.

I am up earlier than my boys. I dress in the dark in the living room.

I wear professional clothes and have manicured hands.

There's no time for my leisurely sit down breakfast of bacon and eggs, so a granola bar will have to do.

The walk up the hill to my husband's car feels longer than usual.
Even though it is foggy and there is a bit of a chill I feel myself begin to sweat.

I can't figure out the radio so I drive in silence.
Until I stop.
Then I sit in traffic in silence.

Thoughts fly by.... What if I am really late? What if I don't get all the credits I need? What if I don't understand the material?...

I let the thoughts move along. I am getting pretty good at acknowledging their presence and sending them on their way.

With 5 minutes to spare I park.

I am walking briskly out of the parking garage when I notice the fog is lifting.

The sky is blue.

The leaves on the campus trees parade reds, oranges and browns.

I slow my walk and my mind.

Stepping into the conference hall, I am ready to learn.