Since the day I left home at 21 years old to now, my mother always hands me money when I visit to "do something nice for myself".
Usually I spend it with my sister. We rent a movie, buy some junk food and spend a night giving ourselves facials and mani/pedis.
In recent years, living far from my sister, I slipped the money into a change purse on my bookshelf.
The purse is untouched and I've never had plans for the money.
Still, since I stopped working regularly, I've grown to like knowing that it is there.
When our finances are strong, I think of it as a bonus fund.
When times are tight, I think of it as an emergency fund.
It just sits there on the shelf.
The other day someone asked me for money.
Turned out to be the exact amount in my purse....
I hate to say I needed 24 hours to decide what to do but I forgot what it feels like to begin, to struggle, to worry about finances.......
When I gave the money, no strings attached, I felt lighter.
All this time I thought the money was mine. Really, it was mine to give.....
like my mother gave to me.