I am lucky to have friends all over the country.
Their love kept me going when I first moved to California and couldn't quite find my kindred spirits.
Over the years I have found those few west coasters who "get me".
During my flu I spoke to no one but my immediate family.
Even my mother and sister didn't know I was spending most of my time in bed.
Eventually, three local friends learned that I was laid up.
One called and texted both of us daily to check on my status.
Another brought over homemade parsley soup, a delicious meal cooked.
The third, dropped her work and zipped over to babysit so my husband could drive me to urgent care.
All of my friends are polite.
All of my friends are kind.
All of my friends are smart and funny.
I miss my friends who are far away.
Now I realize I have friends close to home that I can count on.