Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Amy & Patty

I love a good love story.

When I meet a new couple I want to know how they met.

When I meet an old couple I want to know how they make the magic last.

The other night, I soaked up the details of a great love story; love in the form of best friends.

Away for a weekend, independent of their husbands and children, these women entertain each other with easy conversation and laughter by weaving stories from their past with topical chatter.

Their story sounds star-crossed.

Two girls grow up a block a part.

They have the same last name.

Both have Pauls and Kevins in their families.

They grow up to marry men who went to the same college.

Men who share the same birthday.

When they become mothers they have children a week apart.

Outside their home lives, they are both therapists.

I am struck by the coincidences that seem the universe's attempts to connect them.

Most of all I enjoy their rhythm; the unique banter of two women who have shared the highs and lows of life.

My inner voice cheers, "Let's hear it for our girlfriends!"

Days later I'm still cheering:)