Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Hug Big

Standing on the beach I take in everything: the boats sitting on the horizon, the sun beginning to set, the clear view of the coastline.

The beach is pretty empty this time of day. Only a few families scattered across stretches of sand.

So I notice him running in my direction.

He is tall and lanky. 30ish. Blond blond straggly hair under a trucker cap. Bright green neon boardshorts and a white t-shirt. He gives me a nod as he slows his pace, then stands a few feet from me and scans the beach.

All at once he takes off.

He runs towards a small group sitting at the water's edge.

It's too far for me to make out their faces, but I see two young men in swimsuits jump up and begin to run towards him.

I watch the men approaching each other.

They don't meet, they collide. They jump into the air and embrace. First one hugs, then the other. They hug in midair and then again on the ground.

And I feel a little choked up to witness such a display of love and happiness.

Seeing them reunite reminds me of home.

On my next visit I will remember: Life is short. Hug big.