Daddy has the best ideas.
Let's buy our 2 year old a sweet little goldfish.
I love this idea. I love the fish, named "Oscar Too" by our son.
I love the fish so much that I feel true panic when I see the fish bowl looking downright murky his second day with us.
With my husband gone for the next 24 hours, I turn to my sister for help.
Since neither of us grew up with pet fish, we problem solve to the best of our ability.
"We should put in clean water.... How much food did you put in there?"
- "Enough that he wouldn't be hungry? .......Doesn't it have to be special water or something?"
"Goldfish live in rivers right? Nothing special about that water......"
- "What about temperature?"
"Nevermind the temperature, how do we get it out of the bowl?............"
A few minutes later Oscar too is swimming in a clean bowl and taking in big gulps of water, almost like he was saying "This is so much better" or "HELP!" (I'm not really sure but he was alive, so that must have felt good:)
The next day my husband eyes the fish and observes, "The bowl just needs a few days to settle but the fish looks good".
Immediately, we confess.
He listens with a look of shock on his face as we describe scooping Oscar Too out with a lobster shaped bath toy, testing the tap water with our finger tips and saying a little prayer as we rationed the rest of his meals.
When my husband lectured us about how to care for a goldfish, I knew my sister was thinking the same thing as me.
"All of that may be true, but the fish still alive":)