Sunday, May 8, 2011

Our Romance

Flipping through my jewelry roll I started thinking back over our early years together......

We struck out on our own and started off with little. There wasn't much left over after rent and bills were covered. He knew my favorite author and bought me several used hard cover editions of Gabriel Garcia Marquez's books....

He called the food critic of the Boston Globe and asked for recommendation for the best Italian food in the city. He served me a meal from one restaurant in an apartment lit with candles and dressed in flowers. For the other recommendation, he took me to the North End where we dined on Northern Italian (a first for me!) in a sweet tiny restaurant. Later that night we stood in line with strangers for fresh canolies at the local bakery....

For a surprise evening out he bought tickets to a screening of the romantic film Wings of Desire. A night of firsts: my first movie with subtitles and the only movie I've viewed accompanied by a choir....

And the love letters! Actual physical letters written on paper, stamped and mailed to me....

With all the gestures, big and small, I know I am loved. There's nothing more romantic than that.