Friday, November 26, 2010

The Strand

On our walks, we notice things.

We notice a mansion's windows filled with life size cartoon figurines.

We notice the same surfers sipping coffee and sizing up the waves.

We notice the friendly little dogs who like to lick babies' faces.

And the regulars, the walkers and runners who enjoy the last hour of sunlight on the Strand, we notice each face and share smiles.

I forget that they notice us too.

An older couple stopped me the other day (we've passed each other for years and never spoken). The husband said, "I have to tell you, I was just talking to my wife about you the other day. I told her, 'I remember when she did the walks when she was pregnant and now look at the two of them".

I saw a flash of the past 3 years of myself walking in all my glorious states.

I've covered a short stretch of sidewalk but my how far I've come.