A few nights ago I finished Swami Muktananda's book, Meditate, which served as a wonderful refresher of the "how-to's" of meditation.
The take home message: Recognize God in Yourself.
Next, I dove into The Black Book of Style by Nina Garcia. A gift from a girlfriend, this style "how-to" celebrates fashion as an extension of a woman's personality.
The take home message: Be Your Own Muse.
With my current read, I wrestle with what my interests say about me;)
Mary Roach's Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers has an intelligent, funny narrative voice.
In the introduction, Mary describes how prior to Stiff, she was a travel writer who "traveled to escape the known and the ordinary" only to return home "to look for foreign land between the cracks".
I'm only a few chapters into the book but Ms. Roach's curiosity about the everyday offers this take home message, "The Story is Right Here" (and "Everything can be Funny").
These uplifting messages answer that age old question,
"What do gurus, fashionistas and cadavers in common?"