Sunday, May 13, 2012

Melissa's Suitcase

Honestly I don't know how it happens.

I clean out and organize our closet. I walk away feeling light and free.

A few weeks later, in my closet I rummage under a pile of boxes, clothes and ornaments looking for a boot. I walk away swearing.

Yes, I clearly need some tips on how to set up "systems" in my home.

When I flip through lifestyle magazines that sell "how-to's" for managing "stuff" or "how-to" update my space to look more like homes of celebrities, I think of Melissa.

Was it five years ago? My dear friend, lovely Melissa, sold her furniture, gave away her beachy wardrobe, packed two suitcases and moved to Dublin.

She moved into a (small) furnished place that she shared with a flatmate.

When I visited her a few years back I asked her if she missed having her own things around her.

"Everything I own fits into 2 suitcases. I can leave any time I want. I can go anywhere at the drop of a hat. It's freeing" she replied.

And she does. She keeps Dublin as a home base. She's switched flats a few times. Easy to seize opportunities for a bigger space or to change flatmates when a move only takes a few hours.

She is untethered. She spends her weekends exploring Europe with new and old friends, not frowning over shelving units or catalogs.

When it comes to creating an organized home, perhaps I need to shift my focus to throwing things away rather than finding them a spot:)