Lying in bed, I do not greet the day. I fight waking; instead wrestling with my blanket for warmth and covering my eyes with my pillow. Finally, I give in and march out of bed towards the bathroom.
My husband greets me in the hallway with a smile.
"It's snowing!"
I turn to see soft fluffy snowflakes falling lazily outside the picture window. Happy memories rush over me: drinking my mother's homemade hot chocolate, breathing clean cool air while sweating in my hat, scarf & mittens, and listening to the hush of my snowsuit against the ground while making snow angels.
Today is the first day our son, a young 7 months of age, will see and feel snow.
I greet the day with a smile.
Dust of Snow by Robert Frost
The way a crow
Shook down on me
The dust of snow
From a hemlock tree
Has given my heart
A change of mood
And saved some part
Of a day I had rued.