Thursday, March 1, 2012

What's up Doc?

Ask Oscar what he wants to be when he grows up and he rattles off:

a hockey player,

a baseball player,

a football player,

a firefighter,

a garbageman,

a doctor..

and then he looks at you as if to say, "I'm sure there's more but that's all I can think of right now":)

Easily I can see how his future professions are inspired by people and events in his daily life.

Becoming a doctor seems to stem from having a toy doctor's kit and reading about doctor visits in his books, since his interactions with our pediatrician are few and far between.

Or so I thought.

Recently we stopped in for the baby's ear infection. The waiting room was packed with coughing sniffly kids. Eventually we were ushered into a room. Like a tornado our doctor flew into the room and moved quickly through the exam; thorough but fast. Oscar had brought his stethoscope that day and she commented about how she had one too and "Yours is blue, how cool"!

Lots of thank you's and a hurried goodbye followed. As she was about to exit, she turned and walked back to Oscar. "Let's do a hi-5 with our stethoscopes". He adjusted his around his neck and fumbled with the round end. Nervously he reached and pressed his to hers. They smiled. And she was out the door.

In the parking lot Oscar reminded us that, "Dr Curtis hi-fived my stethoscope!"

I think doctor will stay on the "When I grow up" list for awhile:)