Monday, June 20, 2011

Mix Tapes

In high school and college, nothin said lovin like a mix tape.

So much time and energy went into picking songs and timing each song to fit!

Laying in bed or driving in a car and listening to the mix meant something. This music was not mindless background noise.

Hearing one song flow to the next was like unwrapping a series of little presents.

Each present represented a feeling or a memory or interest shared between two people. Augh, the days of my youth......

On my way out the door my husband handed me a USB stick of music. Pulling out of the garage I turned up the sounds.

I laughed out loud at the poppy songs he found.

I sang along when I heard songs that I had loved so long ago and thought I had forgotten.

I smiled because he picked songs that I had mentioned in passing.

What a fun commute, full of musical surprises!

Best of all, he gave me the "mix tape" experience in a world where "mix tapes" don't really exist anymore:)