Donned my sweet little apron and baked me a banana bread the other day.
Sometimes when I bake I fantasize about my "someday gear".
Someday I'll have a mixer.
Someday I'll have a whisk.
Someday I'll have measuring cups that have clearly printed measurements.
Someday I'll have a kitchen with counter space and easily accessible drawers............
The recipe called for mixing the sugar and oil with a wooden spoon.
I don't know how I have a wooden spoon. I suspect it is leftover from one of our parents' households.
As I mixed and mixed I thought, "I'm so lucky that at least I have this wooden spoon".
That's when my thoughts shifted.
"I'm so lucky to have this wooden spoon,
these faded mismatched measuring cups,
my bent metal bowls for mixing,
the time to stand here and bake for fun,
the ingredients that are an abundance- not a necessity,
a grubby kitchen stocked with food,
without a worry about having enough water or wasting electricity."
And you know, I think the bread tasted better for it:)